NEBRASKA at OKLAHOMA
SEPT. 18, 2021 | GAYLORD FAMILY/OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM
NORMAN, OKLA. | 11 AM (CT)
Document: 2-1, 0-1 Huge Ten
Final Sport: vs. Buffalo (W, 28-3)
Coach: Scott Frost
Profession/NU Document: 33-28 (sixth 12 months)/14-21 (4th 12 months)
vs. Oklahoma: first assembly
Document: 2-0, 0-0 Huge 12
Final Sport: vs. Western Carolina (W, 76-0)
Rankings: AP (3), Coaches (3)
Coach: Lincoln Riley
Profession/OU Document: 47-8 (fifth 12 months)/Similar
vs. Nebraska: first assembly
• All-Time Sequence: OU leads, 45-38-3
• In Norman: OU leads, 23-16
• Final Sport: Oklahoma 23, Nebraska 20 (2010 Huge 12 Championship, Arlington, Texas)
• Win Streak: Oklahoma, 1 recreation
Nebraska renews one of many nice matchups in faculty soccer historical past this Saturday, because the Huskers journey to Norman, Okla., to tackle the Oklahoma Sooners. Sport time at OU’s Gaylord Household/Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is ready for 11 a.m. CT, with nationwide tv protection on FOX. The community’s Huge Midday Kickoff will even originate from Norman for the marquee non-conference matchup.
Nebraska and Oklahoma had been in the identical convention from 1921 to 2010, spanning the Missouri Valley, Huge Six, Huge Seven, Huge Eight and Huge 12 Conferences. The Huskers and Sooners met for 71 consecutive seasons from 1927 to 1997, and squared off most just lately within the 2010 Huge 12 Championship Sport. Saturday’s matchup would be the 87th all-time assembly between the faculties.
Nebraska is 2-1 following a stable 28-3 win over Buffalo. The Blackshirt protection managed the sport for a second straight week, holding the Bulls scoreless within the first half and permitting only a subject purpose. It marked the second straight week Nebraska’s protection has allowed fewer than 10 factors. In flip, the Husker offense completed with higher than 500 yards, that includes a balanced assault for the second straight recreation.
Oklahoma comes into Saturday’s recreation with a 2-0 report, following a 76-0 victory over Western Carolina on Saturday night time in Norman. The Sooners are ranked No. 3 in each the the Related Press Ballot and USA As we speak Coaches Ballot. Coach Lincoln Riley’s workforce has gained the previous 4 Huge 12 titles, with Riley compiling a 47-8 report with the Sooners.
Oklahoma is averaging 527.0 yards of complete offense per recreation, behind quarterback Spencer Rattler who has accomplished 77 p.c of his passes with six touchdowns. The Sooner protection has restricted opponents to 287.0 yards per recreation.
Sequence Historical past: Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
Saturday’s matchup within the storied “Battle of the Huge Reds” is the primary between Nebraska and Oklahoma because the 2010 Huge 12 Championship Sport in Arlington, Texas. The colleges have met 86 instances on the gridiron, with Oklahoma proudly owning a 45-38-3 edge within the all-time collection.
This 12 months’s recreation is the primary in a home-and-home collection between the faculties. Nebraska is ready to play host to the Sooners at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln on Sept. 17, 2022. The colleges are additionally set to satisfy in a home-and-home collection in 2029 (Norman) and 2030 (Lincoln).
• Nebraska and Oklahoma met for 71 consecutive seasons from 1927 to 1997 earlier than the streak was snapped in 1998 with the beginning of the North-South scheduling rotation within the Huge 12.
• Nebraska was 16-3-3 within the first 22 video games within the collection, together with 11 shutouts, earlier than Oklahoma was 22-4 from 1943 to 1968. The collection has been almost even since 1969, with Oklahoma holding a slim 20-18 edge.
• 5 instances Oklahoma handed Nebraska its solely regular-season loss (1964, 1966, 1975, 1979, 1987), whereas twice Nebraska has given Oklahoma its solely regular-season loss (1971, 1978).
• The colleges met twice in No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchups together with the 1971 Sport of the Century and the 1987 recreation in Lincoln. Each of these video games had been gained by the visiting workforce, with Nebraska utilizing the 1971 victory to catapult it to a second consecutive nationwide championship.
• One of many two colleges has been ranked No. 1 in 13 conferences, together with eight instances by Nebraska, most just lately in 2000.
• Because the AP ballot started in 1936, the NU-OU matchup has featured a minimum of one ranked workforce in 61 of 71 video games, together with Oklahoma’s No. 3 rating this season. Each groups have been ranked in 24 of the conferences.
• The collection has featured a minimum of one top-10 workforce in 49 video games and two top-10 groups 18 instances, with the matchup that includes a minimum of one top-10 workforce in 22 straight video games from 1970 to 1990. In 17 video games since 1971, each groups had been ranked within the high 10.
• Nebraska’s greatest ever upset win was a 25-21 victory in 1959, ending OU’s 36-game win streak and 74-game convention unbeaten streak.
• Corridor of Fame Coach Tom Osborne posted his 250th win in opposition to Oklahoma in 1997, with a 69-7 win in Lincoln, the most important margin of victory within the collection.
Huskers, Sooners Share Wealthy Historical past
Nebraska and Oklahoma are two of simply eight colleges in faculty soccer historical past to win 900 or extra video games, with OU rating sixth in all-time wins (919) and Nebraska seventh (907).
• In trying on the most wins in faculty soccer over the previous 30, 40, and 50 years, Nebraska and Oklahoma every rank within the high 10 in all of these classes.
• The colleges have mixed to win 12 nationwide championships and 96 convention titles, together with 5 nationwide championships and 46 convention crowns by Nebraska.
NU-OU Have a good time fiftieth Anniversary of Sport of the Century
As considered one of faculty soccer’s best rivalries there are quite a few memorable video games within the Nebraska-Oklahoma collection. Nevertheless, no recreation within the collection is extra remembered than Nebraska’s 35-31 victory in Norman in 1971. The sport remains to be known as the “Sport of the Century”.
• The colleges will have a good time the fiftieth anniversary of the Thanksgiving Day basic at this Saturday’s recreation in Norman. Each groups will put on a helmet decal honoring the 1971 recreation.
• Nebraska opened the scoring on Johnny Rodgers’ legendary punt return to present the Huskers a 7-0 lead. Nevertheless, the sport went forwards and backwards, with three lead modifications within the second half, after Oklahoma took its first lead of the sport, 17–14, with 5 seconds left to play within the first half. Oklahoma would go forward as soon as extra, 31–28 with 7:10 left within the recreation, however Nebraska then answered with a 74-yard drive for the profitable landing with 1:38 left. In all, Nebraska had scored touchdowns on three of its final 4 possessions to safe a 35–31 victory.
• Nebraska went on to win its second consecutive nationwide championship and full a 13-0 season. Oklahoma completed at 11-1 and No. 2 within the closing polls.
Nebraska Offense Exhibiting Explosive Means
Nebraska has gotten its offense rolling in victories over Fordham and Buffalo and posted a number of spectacular statistics within the course of.
• In opposition to Fordham, Nebraska completed the sport with 329 dashing yards and 304 passing yards to roll up 633 yards of complete offense. It was Nebraska’s finest offensive output since posting 674 yards of complete offense at Illinois in 2019.
• The win over Fordham marked the fifth time NU has topped 600 yards in Scott Frost‘s 4 years as head coach. Amongst Huge Ten groups, solely Ohio State (9) has extra 600-yard video games in that point span.
• Nebraska’s 300-300 offensive output was a uncommon statistical feat at school historical past. The Huskers had reached that mark simply twice beforehand vs. South Dakota State in 2013 and at Illinois in 2019.
• Nebraska has accounted for 2 of the seven 300/300 video games by Huge Ten groups over the previous 4 years (Ohio State-3; Maryland-1; Penn State-1).
• The Huskers scored 52 factors in opposition to Fordham, surpassing the 50-point mark for the primary time since a 54-7 win at Maryland in 2019.
• In a 28-3 win over Buffalo, Nebraska gained 516 yards of offense, together with performs of 71 (Martinez run), 68 (Martinez to Toure TD) and 68 yards (Martinez to Toure TD). The sport marked the primary time since a 2010 win at Kansas State wherein Nebraska had three performs of longer than 60 yards.
• Nebraska averaged 8.5 yards on 61 offensive snaps in opposition to Buffalo. For the season, Nebraska averages 6.8 yards per play to rank 4th within the Huge Ten and twenty ninth nationally.
• Nebraska has 5 performs of fifty yards or extra to tie for second within the nation in that class.
• Nebraska has opened the season with a 100-yard rusher and 100-yard receiver in every of the primary three video games. Adrian Martinez has two 100-yard dashing video games (Illinois, Buffalo), with Markese Stepp including a 3rd recreation over the century mark (Fordham). Samori Toure has topped the century mark in receiving yards every of the previous two weeks, after Oliver Martin surpassed 100 yards at Illinois.
• Unofficial analysis signifies that is the primary time at school historical past Nebraska has had a 100-yard rusher and 100-yard receiver in three straight video games.
Toure Main Husker Receiving Corps
Nebraska senior receiver Samori Toure joined this system in January after incomes FCS All-America honors at Montana. Toure has made his mark for the Huskers, catching 13 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns by way of three video games. He has additionally rushed 5 instances for 44 yards and a landing.
• Toure caught two passes for 136 yards in opposition to Buffalo, scoring on a pair of 68-yard landing receptions. Toure’s two catches of higher than 65 yards marked the third time at school historical past a Husker participant had completed that statistical achievement, becoming a member of Irving Fryar (1983 at Minnesota, 70 and 68 yards) and Frantz Hardy (2006 vs. Kansas, 78 and 75 yards).
• Toure’s 136-yard effort in opposition to Buffalo was his second straight 100-yard receiving recreation. He had eight catches for 133 yards in opposition to Fordham. Toure is the primary Husker with back-to-back 100-yard receiving video games since JD Spielman completed the feat in opposition to Purdue and Wisconsin in 2018.
• Toure has 10 profession 100-yard receiving video games, together with eight at Montana.
• Toure’s two 100-yard receiving video games got here after Oliver Martin had a 100-yard effort at Illinois. This marks the primary time Nebraska has had a 100-yard receiver in three straight video games since halfway by way of the 2017 season.
Toure caught 87 passes for a school-record 1,495 receiving yards at Montana in 2019, which ranked second nationally. Toure got here to Nebraska with profession totals of 155 receptions, 2,488 yards and 20 touchdowns.