Printed on Might 27, 2021
Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird right now joined different Metropolis and Lancaster County officers to announce further funding to enhance the neighborhood’s response for these experiencing psychological well being crises. The assist consists of Metropolis funding of $150,000 included within the 2020-21 finances and two federal Division of Justice grants totaling over $1.1 million acquired by Lancaster County to boost juvenile providers:
- A $500,000 grant by way of the Juvenile Justice System Enhancements program will present disaster response and evidence-based aftercare neighborhood providers for younger folks.
- A $622,883 grant by way of Juvenile Justice and Psychological Well being Collaboration Program will present for the improvement and implementation of a pretrial psychological well being diversion alternative for youth.
“As Lancaster County Lawyer, I’ve prioritized juvenile diversion applications and efficiently developed nationally-recognized applications to divert tons of of juveniles in our neighborhood away from the juvenile justice system,” mentioned Pat Condon. “The grants mentioned right here right now are an thrilling alternative to additional develop our programming to particularly deal with psychological well being, behavioral well being, and substance abuse wants, and to construct on our current neighborhood partnerships and sturdy collaborative efforts.”
“The Lancaster County Board of Commissioners understands that the way forward for our neighborhood rests in our youth,” mentioned County Fee Chair Rick Vest. “To that finish, we imagine that this funding is a essential part to serving to our youth and their households and can have long-term optimistic impacts on our neighborhood. We’re very excited with the extra behavioral well being helps supplied by our neighborhood partnerships this funding will present for our youth and households.”
The Metropolis’s investments deal with higher equipping regulation enforcement professionals to answer psychological well being requires service. Appearing Police Chief Brian Jackson mentioned these calls have been rising over the previous decade, and the COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated the rise. To date in 2021, the Lincoln Police Division (LPD) has seen a 20-percent improve in psychological well being requires service in comparison with the identical time interval the earlier 4 years.
“We proceed to make investments in public security that enable us to deal with the wants of our neighborhood holistically,” Mayor Gaylor Baird mentioned. “We’re offering further public security assets to answer the rise in psychological well being calls and the rising must assist each weak residents and the officers who serve them. Our finances invests $150,000 to assist further providers and coaching to boost the response for residents experiencing a psychological well being disaster.”
The Mayor mentioned a bunch of neighborhood stakeholders decided that the funds could be finest utilized in three key areas:
- Funds might be used to strengthen current partnerships to serve residents with psychological well being points. Jackson mentioned LPD’s partnership with the Psychological Well being Affiliation of Nebraska on the R.E.A.L. program helps to cut back requires service and to enhance the standard of life for residents. This system connects peer advocates who’ve skilled psychological sickness with individuals who have non-criminal interactions with law enforcement officials. Since its inception in 2011, over 300 officers have made practically 4,000 referrals to this system. The Metropolis is offering funding for an extra peer outreach employee for the R.E.A.L. program; absorbing the prices of this system beforehand funded by the Group Well being Endowment; and incorporating ongoing assist for the R.E.A.L. program. The Metropolis may also fund a devoted coordinator to help LPD in working with human service companies to establish people who’ve ongoing interactions with regulation enforcement.
- New investments might be made in psychological well being coaching for regulation enforcement professionals. Further funding will enable extra LPD Officers entry to the coaching supplied by Area V and area people companies by way of the Behavioral Well being Risk Evaluation program.
- Funds might be used to discover non-law-enforcement alternate options for responding to psychological well being crises incidents. The Metropolis has contracted with the White Fowl Clinic of Eugene, Oregon to develop a framework for a cellular disaster intervention service program. One of many Clinic’s profitable applications is a professionally staffed van that responds to non-criminal conditions together with substance abuse, psychological/emotional crises and different points.
Along with these investments, LPD has named a Psychological Well being Coordinator to guide change efforts within the Division. “LPD is just one a part of the general public security group in our neighborhood,” Jackson mentioned. “All of us work collectively to enhance the standard of life right here in Lincoln.”